Friday, April 20, 2007

gay neighbours


A recent survey found that more than 20 per cent of New Zealanders would not like gays as neighbours.

I personally find this appalling. I have a gay neighbour and she is great. In the last place I lived in my neighbours were John Jolliffe and Des Smith, who were well known as campaigners for civil unions. I can say that they were among the best neighbours we have had and they are one of the few neighbours I have had that we are still in contact with.

I actually think that the people who would rather not have gay neighbours have never had them – or they don`t know that their neighbour is gay. Who cares whether your gay neighbour is gay, Maori, public servant, holds religious beliefs, or is a member of the Cat’s Protection League, what does matter is whether they are a good neighbour. I you are concerned about living next door to someone who is gay, you really do have issues.

It would be interesting to find out how many Christians took part in the survey, and whether they hold to the biblical notion of love your neighbour.

2 comments:

ZenTiger said...

I think it was a simple misunderstanding - gay is becoming synonymous with being a Labour Party MP or flunkie.

Once people realise gays can and do vote across the political spectrum, I'm sure NZ'ers will be more relaxed about it.

And the statement: "Who cares what Kiwis get up to in the privacy of their own home" simply needs the postscript "as long as the curtains are closed"

Anonymous said...

Dave
Some people think that what makes Gays homosexuals is either their being wrong morally or is a factor of physical/emotional lack of development or a unnatural bent in normal development.

The upshot of that is simple they don't want damaged goods around them or especially their kids.

As you know we're all damaged goods or cracked jars in one way or another so their opinion is understandable.
MikeNZ